Dr. Sylvain Charlebois is a Professor in food distribution and policy in the Faculties of Management and Agriculture at Dalhousie University in Halifax. He is also the Scientific Director of the Canadian Agri-Food Foresight Institute, also located in Halifax. He is as well the former Dean of the Faculty of Management at Dalhousie University. Before joining Dalhousie, he was affiliated with the University of Guelph’s Arrell Food Institute, which he co-founded. While at the University of Guelph, he was also the Associate Dean of Research for the College of Business and Economics.
His current research interest lies in the broad area of food distribution, security and safety. He has published over 500 peer-reviewed and scientific publications in his career. His research has been featured in a number of newspapers, including The Economist, the New York Times, the Boston Globe, the Wall Street Journal, Foreign Affairs, the Globe & Mail, the National Post and the Toronto Star.
He has authored five books on global food systems, his most recent one published in 2017 by Wiley-Blackwell entitled “Food Safety, Risk Intelligence and Benchmarking”. He conducts policy analysis, evaluation, and demonstration projects for government agencies and major foundations focusing on agricultural policies and community development both in Canada and in development settings. Dr. Charlebois is a member of the Global Food Traceability Centre’s Advisory Board based in Washington DC, and a member of the National Scientific Committee of the Canadian Food Inspection Agency (CFIA) in Ottawa. He has testified on several occasions before parliamentary committees on food policy-related issues as an expert witness. He has been asked to act as an advisor on food and agricultural policies in many Canadian provinces, in the United States, Brazil, Austria, Italy, France, Belgium, China, Great Britain, Finland and the Netherlands.
2005 – DBA (University of Sherbrooke)
2002 – MBA (Research) (UQAM)
1992 – BComm (Royal Military College)
2017 to present – Dalhousie University (Halifax, Nova Scotia) Full Professor, BComm and MBA Courses
2014 to 2015 – University of Innsbruck (Innsbruck, Austria) Visiting Professorship,
Food Policy and Supply Chain Engineering
2010 to 2016 – University of Guelph (Ontario, Canada): Full Professor, BComm, MBA, PhD Courses
2007 to 2010 – University of Regina/University of Saskatchewan (Saskatchewan, Canada): Associate Professor, BBA, MBA, MPA Courses
Academic Executive Experience
- Dalhousie University (Nova Scotia, Canada)
• Interim Scientific Director, Institute of Agri-Food Analytics (October 2018 to present)
• Dean, Faculty of Management (July 2016 to September 2018)
- University of Guelph (Ontario, Canada)
• Dean (Acting), (December 2011 to June 2012)
• Associate Dean, Research and Graduate Studies (July 2010 to August 2015)
• Associate Dean, Executive Programs (Interim, November 2012 to June 2014)
• Associate Dean, Academics (Interim, December 2010 to October 2012)
- University of Saskatchewan/University of Regina (Saskatchewan, Canada)
• Director (Dean-level), Johnson-Shoyama Graduate School of Public Policy, Regina Campus (July 2009 to June 2010)
- University of Regina (Saskatchewan, Canada)
• Associate Dean (Director), Faculty of Business Administration Kenneth Levene Graduate School of Business (January 2008 to June 2009)